Your stroke treatment journey [infographic]
Posted on 12 September 2019
The way we diagnose and treat stroke is changing. Today, Mediclinic takes a multidisciplinary approach, with the aim of ensuring all patients are treated in a standardised and timeous manner.
Mediclinic is standardising stroke care protocols in facilities across SA. Why? To elevate the standard of care and improve stroke outcomes. “Medics, nurses, stroke physicians, radiologists – when everyone works together, and quickly, we see huge improvements in how our patients recover from strokes,” says Dr Daniel Fiandeiro – Emergency Medicine Specialist: Mediclinic Pietermaritzburg.
If you suspect a stroke, call 084 124 for expert assistance without delay. The earlier you receive treatment, the better. “Stroke treatment in the Emergency Centre is tricky. It needs to be done carefully – and well,” says Dr Fiandeiro.
The people who can help you survive a stroke
- Should know what a stroke looks like
- Should call 084 124 for immediate assistance
- Assess the situation
- Examine for vital warning signs
- Stabilise the patient
- Pre-notify the hospital
- Transport the patient to the nearest facility
EMERGENCY CENTRE STAFF
- Pre-notify the radiology department
- Pre-notify the on-call stroke physician
- Move the patient into resuscitation
- Reassess the patient within five minutes of arrival in the EC
- Check for potential allergies to medication
- Check if patient qualifies for computed tomography angiography (CTA)
- Conducts CT or MRI to diagnose stroke
- and gauge the severity of brain damage
- Examines scan results
- Decides on the most appropriate course of treatment
- Might conduct mechanical thrombectomy for acute ischaemic stroke
- Might conduct percutaneous coronary intervention/clot removal surgery
- Might perform thrombolytic therapy
- Physical therapist
- Occupational therapist
- Recreational therapist
- Speech pathologist
During September, National Heart and Stroke Awareness Month, visit a participating Mediclinic for free blood pressure and cholesterol screenings. Find your nearest screening centre here.